Wisdom brightens a person's face and changes its hard appearance. -Ecclesiatstes 8:1

Friday, January 13, 2012

Petulant


Oh boy. I would like to sheepishly hide my face…the new face I’m trying to work on.

It was pointed out to me the other day, through the sarcastic voice of co-workers, that I’ve been griping a lot lately. They mentioned that I might need chemical help. I know they were joking, but in that moment, I took a good look at myself and realized how right they were. I’ve been completely unreasonably ill toward things that are beyond my control. 

When vendors don’t call to let me know they are coming so that I don’t have to cut my lunch short to run back to the office to meet them because I didn’t know they were going to be there at that time *breathe* I should not gripe about their lack of courtesy.

When people ask me how many forms I need them to send me and I give them an exact number then they send me too many and I don’t have anywhere to put the extras *breathe* I should not gripe about people asking a question and then not listening to the answer.

When I have to do my most hated task in my job and it turns into a bigger pain in the butt than anyone ever thought and I want to tell people “I told you it was not going to be as easy as you thought it would” *breathe* I should not gripe about how I knew better and how much of a pain it really is.

But really, why shouldn’t I?

Well, because, just like the fact that Jesus loves me- the Bible tells me so. I knew I needed to find out what the Lord’s word says about complaining and there certainly are some doozies:

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. – Eph 4:29-32

I was NOT giving “grace to those who heard” my gripes.

Do all things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. Even if I am to be poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrificial offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. Likewise you also should be glad and rejoice with me. - Phil 2:14-18

I was NOT “blameless or innocent” in my irritability.

Do not grumble against one another, brothers, so that you may not be judged; behold, the Judge is standing at the door. – James 5:9

I was NOT letting the Judge do the judging.

I want to say I was not complaining, but I WAS being petulant (moved to or showing sudden, impatient irritation, especially over some trifling annoyance- dictionary.com).

Was…was…was…was. *breathe*

So when something begins to bug me that is beyond my control, I have to remember what I can control: My attitude.

I have to remember to *breathe*.

1 comment:

Deb said...

wonderful wonderful wonderful book for those days of feeling petulant, and even when they're not PMS triggered, as the book primarily addresses: Jump Off the Hormone Swing by Lorraine Pintus. I'm reading it on Kindle, so all I can say is that about 60% through the book, she talks about concrete ways to control the tongue--in a very funny way! I highly recommend it!