Wisdom brightens a person's face and changes its hard appearance. -Ecclesiatstes 8:1

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Setting the bar too high

I have an inspection at work each year. And while I wouldn’t say my job depends on getting a good rating in it, the inspection serves to show my employers how well I’ve been doing my job and a bad to average rating wouldn’t be a good reflection on me.


Last year, I got the highest rating given. This was after 3 years of getting the next to highest at this job. In my previous job, I had received the next to highest for 2 years (same inspection, different company). So it took me 6 years to achieve the highest rating, to be knowledgeable enough to know what I needed to do.

My inspection is tomorrow. I’m prepared. I’ve done what I need to do. However, I’m always nervous. I’m always afraid there is something I missed, something I won’t have an answer for, or something that the employees I’ve trained will get wrong. Last year, I raised the bar. This year, I have to meet it.

My goal was lofty, I achieved it, but now I have to deal with the fact that I’m expected to do that well every time.

It’s a good thing. It’s a bad thing.

Nothing to do now but wait and see.

No comments: