Wisdom brightens a person's face and changes its hard appearance. -Ecclesiatstes 8:1

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Nostalgia Part II

I started a blog back in 2003 or 2004. It didn’t last long. But through it and/or Myspace I found a blog written by an acquaintance from high school. I say ‘acquaintance’ because he wasn’t really a friend, though we had hung out via mutual friends at times.

Through his blog and my blog, we became friends. We aren’t BFF’s. We don’t talk on the phone. We don’t ever see each other unless it is random. But we are friends. We talk via email, Facebook and through blogging. We’ve basically gotten to know each other through our blogs and have become friends with each other and ‘fans’* of each other.

We’ve both been on-again/off-again bloggers for the past 7 or so years. Right now I’m on, he’s off.

My point in saying in all of this is…

Blogging leads to friendships. While you might start a personal blog for a number of different reasons, there is really only one reason to continue (or start again) blogging. It connects you with people that you might not have ever thought you had anything in common with. It allows you to find things in common with people that you would have never known about. You learn you have someone to talk to when there is really no one else to talk to. Blogging brings you into discussions and thoughts and even friendly arguments that you would have never had. It allows you to show support and help lift someone up who is having a hard time when you normally wouldn’t have interacted with that person at all. It opens your mind to things you wouldn’t have ever thought about. Well, blogging doesn’t open your mind, the people you interact with while blogging does it.

I can’t make someone start blogging. But I can support their blog when they choose to do it.

So, Ex-Long-Haired-Drummer-Boy-that-I-never-really-knew-in-school, I know you are reading, I know you want to do it, I’ll be there to read it when you do. Remember, one reader is better than zero.



*Typically, he’s my only reader/commenter.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Haha, thanks! I'll see what I can do. ;-)