Wisdom brightens a person's face and changes its hard appearance. -Ecclesiatstes 8:1

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hurt Feelings

It shouldn’t hurt my feelings, but it just tugs at my heart when all the “haters” start bashing Auburn University and Cam Newton.

Of course his dad was at the game! How could he not be?!?! How could anyone, a college or the NCAA, deny the father a right to see his son play in the biggest game of his career?!?! It isn’t about his dad, it’s about a kid who wants to share this with his parents! How can anyone deny a kid that?!?! So what!!! How is his dad being there a big deal?!?!

I don’t know who’s guilty and who’s innocent in all the drama. But I do know that a kid has played his heart out for his team this year. I also know that if it had been any other team, that team’s fans would be sticking up for their players too.

I was raised not to rub in my team’s wins because the next year it could always come back and bite me in the butt. That never stopped others from rubbing in Auburn’s losses to me, but I always felt better knowing I wasn’t like that. I could win gracefully and certainly lose gracefully.

I’m sorry that your team didn’t win this year. I’m sorry that an accusation has come out that might allow titles and awards to be stripped from Auburn and the players years down the road. I’m sorry that you feel the need to bash on a kid and his family and, in turn, a school because of mistakes that may or may not have been made.

It is just a game.

Yes, my feelings are hurt because of this “game”. It hurts my heart to see people making a judgment when nothing has been proven. I can’t say that I wouldn’t have the same feelings if it were a different team. I can’t say that I wouldn’t think that the player and/or his family were guilty. But I can say that if I did, I would think those things quietly. I wouldn’t try to rub things in and knock people down.

Let Auburn have their win. Let Cam Newton have a high moment in his career. Let the Newton family have some peace.

There are so many worse things that could have happened. Yet we choose to focus on something that has yet to be proven. Life is more than football. This isn’t the first time controversy struck a college athletic department and it certainly won’t be the last. Next time it could be your team and I hope you get your feelings hurt.

Congratulations to Auburn and all the players on their well deserved national title win. You played a great season and you've been rewarded for it.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

I agree, it's ridiculous. I don't understand why fans and commenters can't just let a team have their moment to shine and celebrate a successful season full of hard work. I don't really have a favorite team, but I was glad to see Auburn win, maybe because all of the "Roll Tide" people I know are so snotty about their team, and of course a win for them means a win for the SEC and our neck of the woods. Anyway, I think I realized the other night why I don't really have a favorite team, and that's because too many fans can't be gracious losers and have to talk smack, and I guess by not having a favorite team it allows me to keep somewhat of a guard up against jerks. Of course, if my Alma Mater (Southern Miss) could ever get some TV time, I might be more supportive of them, win or lose. Kinda boring to keep up with scores and not be able to watch them play.