Wisdom brightens a person's face and changes its hard appearance. -Ecclesiatstes 8:1

Friday, January 28, 2011

Fearfully and Wonderfully

In church last Sunday, the pastor was reading Psalms 139:

For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Your works are wonderful, I know that full well. (vs. 13-14)

“Fearfully and wonderfully” I’ve heard this verse over and over again in my life but I’ve never actually thought about the words individually. I get the wonderfully part. Full of wonder. Got it.

It was the fearfully part I struggled with this week. I understand what it means to be God fearing (though that was a struggle at first for me too). But I didn’t understand why David would say that God made us while “full of fear”.

I was interpreting this fear the wrong way. This is the good kind. The same kind that we are supposed to have when it comes to our relationship with God. We aren’t supposed to be fearful as in frightened of or scared of. We are supposed to hold reverence.

Google definitions lists this meaning of fear 7th down on the list:

reverence: regard with feelings of respect and reverence; consider hallowed or exalted or be in awe of

No wonder that in today’s society we are so used to fear being a bad thing that when we hear a phrase like “God-fearing” or “Fearfully and wonderfully made”, we aren’t exactly sure that it can be a good thing.

But let me tell you it is!

God put us together, built us, wove us in our mothers’ wombs with respect and reverence. He exalted us!

Isn’t that exciting to think about?! God loves His creations. How can we not return the awe?!

No comments: