Wisdom brightens a person's face and changes its hard appearance. -Ecclesiatstes 8:1

Monday, January 10, 2011

Approval

I spent the weekend cleaning like mad-woman.

I cleaned things that you don’t think about getting dirty.

I was on my feet for at least 8 hours a day- straight.

I emptied the garage and then reloaded it, organizing and cleaning as I went.

I got down on my hands and knees and “mopped” the floors like Cinderella.

I dusted blinds and door frames.

I installed curtain rods and shelves and took furniture apart to make it more aesthetically pleasing.

I organized toolboxes and kitchen drawers.

I installed child safety latches on cabinets.

I moved the liquor bottles to a high cabinet out of reach.

And I’m not done yet.

Why did I do this?

This wasn’t spring cleaning gone mad. This was in preparation for our Home Study this Friday. You know, the visit where a social worker comes to your home to make sure it is suitable to raise a child in, where they name your fate on being able to adopt?

Yeah, that’s why I went crazy cleaning.

I’m not a dirty person. I’m messy, but not dirty. Though with four animals in the house, it is dirtier than I like. However, I feel like it needs to “shine like the top of the Chrysler building” to quote Miss Hannigan and Annie. While I’ve read not to worry about it, that they aren’t looking for spotless, I still feel compelled to make my home cleaner than it has ever been.

If only everyone were made to go through this before they were deemed fit enough to be parents. Sigh.

1 comment:

sophiaoreilly said...

I remember doing the same thing! And it's true that spotless isn't absolutely necessary, but it does (a) give you something to do while you wait for the appt and (b) gives you peace of mind somehow. I made coffee and set out cookies. And I was so intent on answering every question accurately. My social worker began by asking me about my hopes for adoption -- gender/country of origin, etc. I was rambling a bit, I think, and she said asked something about age. Trying to get back on track and be completely accurate, I responded, "30!" She stiffled a laugh and said, "Um, of the child you're hoping to adopt?" Got us both laughing and eased my nerves a bit!

I found the homestudy visit to be very pleasant and not all intrusive or problematic. I think it's all about your mindset when you approach it!

Good luck!
Shawna