Wisdom brightens a person's face and changes its hard appearance. -Ecclesiatstes 8:1

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Staying on Budget for the holidays

This isn’t a how-to blog for the day, it’s an I-did-it!


I can’t believe it, but I’ve managed to buy all of this year’s Christmas gifts within the budget I set for each person. I only went over $10.00 ($5 each on my niece and nephew).

This is a momentous occasion. I’ve not been able to do this since I started setting an actual money-per-person budget.

A lot of my success can be attributed to the fact that we decided to not give gifts to our siblings this year, just parents and kids under 13 (of which there are only two). Plus, all my life I’ve had a hard time buying just one ‘big’ thing for people, I like giving multiple gifts and that is hard to do while staying on or under budget. This year, I managed to get just one item for everyone- except the two kids- but I still stayed within $5 of my budget on those.

Our goal of completing our adoption Home Study in January was the catalyst for this strict on budget plan. I don’t know why we never had the motivation/ability to do it for the past few Christmas seasons.

I still have one more gift to buy, the hardest…for my Mother-in-law. Any under $60.00 suggestions that don’t include appliances? She’s Peruvian, she likes to play tennis, she teaches Spanish, she’s petite, and she takes care of a special needs daughter so she doesn’t have a lot of time to do anything else.

No comments: