Wisdom brightens a person's face and changes its hard appearance. -Ecclesiatstes 8:1

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Pour Some Sugar on Me

Actually, don’t do that.

I started a sugar cleanse yesterday. I haven’t done one in over a year, so I thought now is as good a time as any. Especially with the holiday treats abounding and me having no reason to resist them.

I have to give myself a reason, or a challenge.

I have challenged myself to a cold turkey sugar cleanse for two weeks. I’m starting out with the obvious sugars like chocolate and diet cokes. (BTW, I’m from the south, so when I say ‘coke’ I mean ‘soda’, not necessarily the brand Coke.) I’ve even stopped putting Splenda in my coffee.

Sugar is so dang addictive. If I start my day off with anything sweet, I crave sweetness all day long, which leads into a vicious and unhealthy cycle. I’m really bad about eating a sweet breakfast, even if that means putting Splenda and cinnamon on my cottage cheese. I’ve never been a big breakfast eater. It often makes me sick to my stomach to think about eating so early in the day, but if I were offered up anything sweet that early, I’d certainly nom on it without thinking. And thus the cycle begins.

But I figured, between Thanksgiving goodies and Christmas delights, I can cleanse myself of that addiction and crave less sweet and more healthy.

Sadly, I realized this morning that my beloved protein drinks have fructose. So I’m avoiding those for now.

Also, while I’ve read that you can have the natural sugars on such a cleanse, I am avoiding fruits, at least for the first week. I’m sure that even those sweet things will kickstart my cravings.

I’ve done this before, I can do it again.

Have you ever tried a sugar cleanse?
What's your biggest sweet tooth weakness?

1 comment:

Ryan said...

I haven't done a complete sugar cleanse, but I've read the latest Atkins book and am convinced that the Atkins Nutritional Approach suits me best. A few months ago I just started snacking and eating a lot of carbs and within 2 months put on almost 20 pounds. So the past three weeks I've been laying off carbs and sugar, and I'm down 10 pounds.

I'm trying to find a lifetime way of eating that works to keep me burning fat without having to starve myself counting calories or wear myself out with loads of exercise. I'm looking at it from a long term perspective, that I am miserable if I don't get enough to eat, and I also realize that even if I tried to burn 1,000 extra calories a day with running or exercise, how long can I REALLY keep that up? I'm just not amped up to do it. I've never been big on exercise. Will I be doing that when I'm 60? What I will be doing when I'm 60 though, for sure, is eating! Anyway, just my thoughts for you. (Trying to open up and comment more for you, heheh.)