Wisdom brightens a person's face and changes its hard appearance. -Ecclesiatstes 8:1

Friday, December 10, 2010

Just thinking...

I’m listening to Amy Grant sing “It’s the most wonderful time of the year…”

And, while I whole-heartedly agree, I think we all put too much emphasis on the wrong things this time of year.

I remember saying something to my parents several years ago when there was a conflict over what day/date we would be able to all get together to “have” Christmas. The comment was something like “Christmas doesn’t have to be the 25th! That’s just a day…it doesn’t matter what day we celebrate.”

I have to wonder if Jesus would actually appreciate the celebration of his birth the way we celebrate it. Actually, I don't have to wonder. I'm pretty sure he'd be disappointed in us. He'd probably even toss all the tables everywhere he went. (see Matthew 21:12)

I know you read and hear this stuff time and time again, so I won’t get into a lecture about the “reason for the season.”

This is more of a reminder to myself.

Christmas is not about:

Santa Claus, Presents, Recipes, Trees, Ornaments, Stockings, Lights, Travel

It really isn’t even about:

Family, Fun, Laughter, Charitable Giving, Memories

It should be about one thing only:

The birth of Jesus Christ, the son of God and man, who would grow up to be a Savior of millions

Shouldn’t this be celebrated every day of the year?

1 comment:

Bianca said...

Preach it, sister!