Wisdom brightens a person's face and changes its hard appearance. -Ecclesiatstes 8:1

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sneaky Sneaky Christmas

(I typed that to the tune of NKOTB’s ‘Funky Funky Christmas’, sing along if you will.)


For the past many years, I’ve been bad at planning ahead for Christmas spending. However, when I took Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace class he made this point: Christmas cannot possibly sneak up on you when it is at the same time each year!



So for two years, I’ve been able to plan ahead. I have my budget for each person’s gift and I try to stick to it as best I can. It makes it so much easier when you start thinking about Christmas on January 1st instead of waiting until December 1st.

The same rule applies to birthdays, anniversaries, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, etc. How can you NOT plan for them? They fall on the same dates, or at least the same time each year. There is no excuse not to have money for gifts and celebrations when you know they are coming months and even years in advance.

Starting right now, starting today, plan out the next 12 (or 13) months’ worth of birthdays and other gift-bearing dates. Decide how much you want to spend for each and make it a goal to have that money saved at least a month ahead of when you want to spend it.

This is not hard! And you will be glad you did it!

No comments: