Wisdom brightens a person's face and changes its hard appearance. -Ecclesiatstes 8:1

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Like Tevye says…

TRADITION!

It’s that time of year…

...the time of year when traditions are followed more so than any other time.

...the time of year when several families come together and share their traditions, often mixing and matching where necessary.

...the time of year when new families start their own traditions.

It’s that time of year…

...that is hardest for anyone who has had to deal with infertility.

I certainly thought that I would have a child or two by this point in my life with which to start Christmas traditions. It seems each year gets a bit harder. I think about all the things I want to do with my future children. And I mourn the fact that another year will go by in which I don’t get to do those things.

My most favorite childhood memory is taking a day during the Christmas holidays and baking cookies and listening to Johnny Mathis’ Christmas records with my mom and brother. We baked and decorated all day long.

My husband’s favorite childhood memory is staying up until midnight on Christmas Eve, eating dinner and then opening gifts. They still do this each year.

I can’t wait to be able to share those traditions with children. I want this time of year to reflect family and tradition as it should, rather than remind me of what I don’t have.

While it gets harder to watch another year go by without, it also gets easier in a way. I learn to deal with what I feel is missing and appreciate what I have.

And who knows, maybe by this time next year, there will be a baby in our lives with which to celebrate.

What’s your favorite holiday tradition?

What traditions did you start when you started a family?

No comments: