Wisdom brightens a person's face and changes its hard appearance. -Ecclesiatstes 8:1

Monday, November 1, 2010

Get Involved

I can’t explain how much I love to learn. There is something inside of me that would rather be in a classroom as a student than sitting at a desk earning money. (However, life requires the latter at this point.)

In order to continue working full time and continue learning, I have joined several local chapters of national societies. They have monthly or quarterly meetings and usually have interesting topics scheduled to be in discussion.

I don’t consider myself social; I’m a rather shy person. But these meetings allow me to network with others in the community and learn about relevant topics. I enjoy being able to attend these meetings and am thankful that my job allows me the time and opportunity to go.

My point of all this is that I think that everyone, no matter their field, should get out and find other people with similar interest and find a way to learn from them.

My current job is not in customer service. I see the same people every day and rarely see anyone different. It is good for me to be able to get out of the office some days and interact with other people. It is a breath of fresh air and I encourage everyone to do it.

Not only is the interaction good for you, the learning available from different local ‘experts’ is priceless.

What do you do to interact with other professionals in your area? What do you do to keep learning?

No comments: