Wisdom brightens a person's face and changes its hard appearance. -Ecclesiatstes 8:1

Friday, October 15, 2010

The Least of These

Many items pass across my desk daily…paperwork, pens, calendar items, scrap paper, post-it notes, catalogs, purchase orders, receipts, etc. One thing is always there though, my cup of water:

I take it for granted. I refill it three to four times a day. I drink mindlessly from it. I don’t even have to walk far to get it:

The view from my office chair.

The fact is I’m lucky. I can get fresh clean water whenever I want. Even when I don’t want any, it is available to me without any effort on my part besides a few steps and the pulling of a handle.


For billions of people though, that is not the case.

According to UNICEF.org, “Almost fifty per cent of the developing world’s population – 2.5 billion people – lack improved sanitation facilities, and over 884 million people still use unsafe drinking water sources. Inadequate access to safe water and sanitation services, coupled with poor hygiene practices, kills and sickens thousands of children every day, and leads to impoverishment and diminished opportunities for thousands more.”

Water.org claims that a child dies from water related diseases every 20 seconds.

Change.org writes, “Right now, almost a billion people on the planet don’t have access to clean, safe drinking water. That’s one in eight of us who are subject to preventable disease and even death because of something that many of us take for granted. Access to clean water is not just a human rights issue. It’s an environmental issue. An animal welfare issue. A sustainability issue. Water is a global issue, and it affects all of us.”

It is time that those of us that do have access do something to help those that don’t. Take a moment and visit Blog Action Day. With just the click of a button, you can donate money and help build wells around the world.

The next time you get up to refill your cup, say a prayer for those who don’t have that option. Even better, say a prayer everytime you refill your cup. I will let that water cooler be a reminder each time I use it.

"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' - Matthew 25: 31-40

No comments: