Wisdom brightens a person's face and changes its hard appearance. -Ecclesiatstes 8:1

Friday, October 22, 2010

Don’t tell me to slow down

For the next several weeks I’ve decided to keep a good log of my caloric intake. So I’ve been using a website called fitday.com to put in what foods I eat and what exercises I do, just to see where I’m at. I’ve used this site in the past but this time I noticed something that didn’t make me happy…

I started to put in my daily exercise of running, either treadmill or road, for at least 30 minutes. While I’ve attempted to increase my speed I am only doing about 13:20 minute miles at which I can keep pace. So, as I enter “running” into the search field, it comes up with several entries:



Notice anything?

Yeah, the slowest they have is 12 min/mile.

So I google “13.5 min/mile calories burned”



 Allnutri.com

Everdayhealth.com

Livestrong.com

And there are several others where the slowest running time is 12 minute miles. Anything slower is considered walking.
Apparently when I’m running my 13:20 minute miles or slower, I’m actually walking.

I wish I’d known this for several 5k’s that I’ve been in; I would have entered as a walker and placed 1st. Then again, a couple of times some walkers beat me as I was running, but I thought that was because I stopped to walk.

This revelation offends me. I like to think I’m pretty athletic because I workout 5-6 days a week and at least 3 of those are days that I “run”.

I always knew I was slow, but I didn’t know that I was too slow to register on anyone’s ‘radar’ so-to-speak.

I would love to run a 10 minute mile. Yes, that is my ultimate goal; a goal I’ve been working on for almost 2 years, but I just don’t see it happening. And that really doesn’t bother me.

At least it didn’t until now. Now that I know I ‘walk’ when I think I’m running.

No comments: