Wisdom brightens a person's face and changes its hard appearance. -Ecclesiatstes 8:1

Monday, September 13, 2010

Straighten up and Fly right

Has there ever been a time in your life where you are just overwhelmed? Be it by work, personal life, or just stuff?

I’ve found that doing a little de-cluttering of the latter can help with both the formers.

In the past couple of years, I have gotten rid of more junk that I thought I wanted at one time or another, than I ever even knew I had. And it has made my life so much easier!

I used to collect things. Angels…books…anything that would match my décor. But as I continually looked at the stuff (and dusted it), I realized that I didn’t actually like 80% of it. There was no sense in keeping the tchotchkes I only bought because they were cheap and books I read once but didn’t fall in love with. So I started pulling things off shelves that I didn’t have a care for and taking them to Goodwill or the Used Book Store. I unloaded a ton of things. And, while there are probably still things I could stand to get rid of, my atmosphere is a lot less overwhelmed at home.

So, I took the idea to work. I de-cluttered my office. I threw all the squishy hand thingys in a basket and cleared my shelves of anything that wasn’t essential. I only put things on my desk I reach for daily. And at the end of each day, I only leave things out that I need to remember to do the next day. I know that if my desk gets piled with paperwork or post-its, I get panicky. I feel rushed to get things done even if I don’t have a time limit. But when I’m de-cluttered, I’m organized and I am calm.

Actually, the same applies to my e-mail inbox. I try to de-clutter it weekly. I file everything I have read and need to keep into file folders by the name of the person. I throw what I don’t need in the recycle bin. I keep in my inbox only things on which I need to take some action or on which I am waiting for someone else to reply.

It makes life so much easier; at work, at home. De-cluttering STUFF around you= making life less overwhelming and hectic. It’s so easy!

Try it!

For some inspiration, go to http://unclutterer.com/ and look around or subscribe to their feed.

No comments: