Wisdom brightens a person's face and changes its hard appearance. -Ecclesiatstes 8:1

Friday, September 17, 2010

Professional Student-ism

“The tombstone will be my diploma”-Eartha Kitt

I attended a conference yesterday; my 4th professional training meeting in 3 weeks. ‘Tis the season, I guess.

I was discussing with another attendee about her son and she said “He’d be a professional student if we let him.” Well, so would I. Not because I’m too lazy to finish school or work, but because I love to learn. I like the challenge. I like to experience knew topics. I get excited about learning.

I always loved school, so this is just an extension of that I guess. But it is also about development and maturity.

Novelist Lillian Smith said “When you stop learning, stop listening, stop looking and asking questions, always new questions, then it is time to die.”

There is certainly truth to that. To me, though, it is almost like a hunger. When I feed my brain, I feel satisfied. I feel full. It certainly gives me more energy and my brain juices start flowing. I get grand ideas and aspirations.

“Those who stop learning find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists.” –Eric Hoffer, philosopher

Ponder that thought a moment. If you just stop learning, your world becomes obsolete…in these quickly changing times for sure. Continuous learning is something that has to happen for your life to be meaningful.

Obviously, this doesn’t have to be classes taken at a school. It can be reading the news, reading an internet site daily, taking a class at church, attending a local seminar, reading a book of any kind or even volunteering to help the less fortunate. There are so many learning activities available to people. If you aren’t learning something, then you aren’t trying.

“Never stop learning. All leaders are learners. The moment you stop learning, you stop leading.”- Rick Warren

In context, this quote is about church. And I whole-heartedly agree with it in that context. But it also leads me to another point. When you learn, about anything, you can become a leader. It gives you confidence on a subject, it allows you to speak knowledgably to the point where people listen and eventually follow. I know I certainly feel more determination after a day spent learning. I even feel some boldness after only an hour spent learning. Hopefully, people will recognize that and know that I can start leading.

It is so important to keep working your brain, to learn something new daily. Get out there and learn. It can be learning about something you love. It doesn’t have to be like school-work. Enjoy it. Make it fun.

No comments: