Wisdom brightens a person's face and changes its hard appearance. -Ecclesiatstes 8:1

Friday, September 10, 2010

Like the sweatshirt says...College

I mentioned recently that I didn’t go to Auburn, my college of choice, because of scholarships and what not. The truth is, I still could have gone to Auburn. My scholarship, which was to be used only in Florida, had a transfer clause. I chose not to use it because, well, I was scared.


I didn’t want to go too far from home, so I ended up going to a 2 year school while living at home and then going to a 4 year school only an hour away. And though I had a dorm room one semester, I still stayed at home most of the time. Therefore, I didn’t have a dorm room the rest of the time I was there.

Going away to college is a big step, more so for some students than others. I am a shy person, I never had trouble making friends or anything like that, but I was way too afraid to move 4.5 hours away from everything I’d ever known.

And yes, I totally regret the decision. I don’t regret my education. I went to a good college, I got a good degree. I just didn’t get the “real” college experience where I had to make do for myself.

Of course, I didn’t realize this until years later. But I hope that if someone were to ask me about going away to school I would totally be able to talk them into going. The situation has already come up with a cousin, though it was more career related advice about moving to a new place than it was about college.

If you are reading this, and by some chance struggling with the decision on which school to go to, I hope that you choose something far enough away from home to do some growing up but close enough that you can still call on Mom and Dad when you need to. It is an experience I wish I had. I’m sure I would have learned many life lessons a lot earlier in my life than I did.

No comments: