Wisdom brightens a person's face and changes its hard appearance. -Ecclesiatstes 8:1

Monday, September 6, 2010

Let's Get Physical

I was out of town last week, so I didn't go to the gym. I say that's my excuse, though there was a nice gym in the hotel. I had stiches in my back from having a mole removed (benign) last week before I left and was told not to do any physical activity that would put pressure on the wound, so I didn't go to the gym. I say that's my excuse, though I wasn't sure what that activity would be and I'm sure some exercise was fine.

Basically, I went a week without going to the gym. My diet suffered, my body suffered, my alertness suffered, my energy suffered.

I went to the gym two days ago and did cardio and weights for an hour and a half. I ran for half an hour outside yesterday. I feel so much better today.

I'm not saying you have to join a gym to feel better. What I am saying is that physical activity is essential to overall happiness.

Go out and find that activity you love to do and just do it. (Nike was right all along.) I never thought I would love to run, or even like it for that matter. But I made myself do it. And I made myself continue to do it. I eventually fell in love with the sensation. My point is, there is something out there for you.

Need ideas?
Tennis, Hiking, Biking, Dog-Walking, Swimming, Basketball, Golf...

Do something to get your heart pumping and your body moving. And try to do whatever it is daily. You will feel better.

If you need inspiration, go out and spend $5 on a health/fitness magazine. There are plenty out there. You will most likely want to get up off your butt and do something after reading through one.

Just do what it takes. You'll be happy you did.

No comments: