Wisdom brightens a person's face and changes its hard appearance. -Ecclesiatstes 8:1

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I’ve lost that lovin’ feeling

That’s not a true statement. Actually, I still have the feeling, I am just having a really hard time doing it anymore.


Ok Ok, get your minds up out of the gutter... I’m talking about running!

For the past couple of months, I have had the hardest time running past 1.5 miles. I might make it up to 2.5 but that’s it. I had to stop running a few months ago because of an IT band injury and when I started back up, I just couldn’t go. I don’t hurt anymore so that’s not the problem.

(sidebar: For those of you who might think that is a wimpy amount to run and that I’m not a serious runner, please forgive me. I am not a long distance runner. I love to run. But I can’t run long. Plus I’ve only been running for about 2 years.)

My longest distance is about 4.2 miles. I have run in several 5k’s. I know I can do that distance, but I have not been able to push myself for several months and I don’t know what the problem is.

I mostly attribute it to the fact that it is so frakkin’ hot in FL in the summer that I’ve had to run on the treadmill at the gym and that gets boring. So hopefully with the cooler weather on the way, I can head back outside and start running longer.

I subscribe to Runner’s World and read about those who run 14 miles a day. I envy those people. I don’t think I would ever be able to get to that point. If I did, it would probably take half my day to run that far. (Did I mention I’m slow too?) I just want to be able to run 3 miles a day with no issues. But my mind beats me everytime. It isn’t my body. I know my body can work through the pain and exertion. It’s my brain.

Maybe I should start back at the beginning, like I did when I first started running. I would just add one minute per day until I got to the distance I wanted.

Do you have any advice for me? What do you do when you mind wins out over matter?

No comments: