Wisdom brightens a person's face and changes its hard appearance. -Ecclesiatstes 8:1

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

It's the most wonderful time of year

Autumn/Fall


I love it.

Sigh.

It is beginning to cool down here, though it is still pretty hot. So I haven’t really experienced that first fall air. But oh how I long for it every year.

It’s football season- There is almost no better feeling than walking into a stadium on a nice fall day to cheer on your favorite team. Or even better, tail-gating before the game… I have no words to describe how it makes me feel, but it always puts a smile on my face.

It’s crisp air- Can’t you feel it now? The first time you walk outside after the heat of summer and you feel the temperature has dropped, you know it is Fall. You want to go lie in a hammock and read a book or take an afternoon nap in the breeze. Such a great feeling.

It’s frisky dog weather- I always laugh when my dogs feel the change in the season. They run around in circles feeling the cool air. They love the change in weather as much as I do.

It’s my birthday- Well, who doesn’t love whatever season their birthday falls in?

It’s Halloween- I have always loved Halloween. I don’t know if it is the weather that time of year that makes me love it, or if it is the holiday that makes me love the weather. It falls at just the right time of year and it is a fun holiday for candy, friendly frights and cute decorations!

It’s the holidays- Technically Christmas falls in the winter but Thanksgiving is still Fall. And doesn’t everyone start putting Christmas décor out well before that? Thanksgiving is a holiday that rounds up a lot of what I love about Fall all in one week…football, food, cool weather, family…

It’s family gatherings- See above. Fall was always a time when my whole extended family would get together. And even though we all have our own families now, we still try to gather together at least once during the fall. It seems to always mean more this time of year than any other.

It’s cozy- Don’t you love curling up on the couch under a blanket with your loved one and watching a movie? Or putting on your most comfortable sweats and just plain being lazy on a weekend day? It almost brings tears to my eyes to think about the joy that this small thing brings me.

It’s windows open- I don’t like to be hot, so my air conditioner runs constantly. But in Fall you can turn it off and open the windows in your house and let nature take care of it. It is refreshing.

It’s raking leaves- Well, in my locale, it is more pinestraw than leaves, but it is the same concept. And I’m not one for yard work but when the weather is crisp, it almost isn’t a chore to rake the yard.

It’s long sleeves and jeans- I am a sucker for a comfy long sleeve t-shirt or sweater. I love being feeling covered and comfortable. And a nice fitting pair of jeans is one of the best feelings in the world.

It’s back to school- I may be among the minority, but I always loved going back to school in the fall (though now-a-days it starts back in the late summer). Returning to school meant a return to friendships and fun. I cherish the memories of back to school shopping and school lunches. I can’t wait to have a child to experience these things through/with.

It’s homecoming- At least it is in my town, which brings me back to football games and the enjoyment of school. It includes a parade too!

It’s festivals and fairs- I know these happen any time of year, but aren’t they always better in the fall? Bobbing for apples in chilled water? Yeah!

It’s memories- All of these things bring back so many memories and each one helps me make more every year. I remember more about my life during this time of year than I do about any other. Or, at least it seems that way. Things that I feel during Fall stick with me and always come back year after year, as soon as I step into that cool crisp morning air.

No comments: