Wisdom brightens a person's face and changes its hard appearance. -Ecclesiatstes 8:1

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Glossies...Glossys?

I impulse bought an InStyle Magazine the other day. It was the Fall issue and I was drawn into its shiny 600 page thickness.


I don’t buy fashion magazines. I used to get Cosmo, but that was the closest to a fashion mag I ever got –unless you count Teen Magazine which I subscribed to during my adolescence.

I’ve been paging through InStyle and have been suckered into the ‘new’ trends for Fall. I want those things in my closet. However, I don’t have hundreds of dollars to spend on those things and I certainly don’t shop at any of the advertisers’ stores. I’ve found outfits in magazines I’ve liked in the past and then tried to replicate them cheaply, or frugally. I’ve done pretty good jobs with them too. But I’m not a fashionista by any means. But the pictures are so pretty and the pages are so slick and shiny…

Oh those dang magazines and their glossy pages! Oh how I love them! It doesn’t matter the topic, I’ll take a gander. Well, that’s an exaggeration. I won’t read my husband’s Sport Fishing or the like, but if I’m faced with a magazine, I’ll most likely pick it up and flip through it (from back to front of course). I love the ones with the slick pages more because I like the way they feel and sound (yes, they have a sound). But most any magazine will do. To me, an advertising major and a desktop publishing lover, they are an art form. And there are so many to choose from. I could load up on them each time I go to a bookstore. They often draw me into a topic that I wasn’t necessarily interested in before (see above about fashion). I’ve learned about things like small business start-ups and scrapbooking and surfing, none of which I was really interested in before. I don’t always read every article or look at every advertisement, but I still like having the ability to tear out pages of things that I want to do or try and fold over 'dog-ears' on articles to return to later.

I do hope that magazines don’t fall to the wayside in this age of internet and e-publishing. I love to hold them in my hand and peruse the pages piece by piece.

My current subscriptions are mostly Exercise and Health related with some Redbook thrown in. What do you subscribe to? Would you rather read magazines in hand or on the internet?

No comments: