Wisdom brightens a person's face and changes its hard appearance. -Ecclesiatstes 8:1

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Adoption

As I have mentioned in previous posts, my husband and I are going to adopt a child…one of these days.


We started the process back in 2007. Then we realized that there was no way we could afford a baby. Not only could we not afford to have a child (which people don’t always think about when they are able to get pregnant), we couldn’t/can’t afford to pay the outrageous adoption fees. At least we can’t afford to at the financial place we are at now.

We are busy working on the baby steps of Dave Ramsey’s FPU plan. We have about a year to go before we are debt free. Then we have to save up money for emergencies and simultaneously for an adoption.

It depresses me to talk about. I feel like no one understands and I certainly can’t make them understand where we are coming from. But I’m done keeping quiet. I vow to write about our experiences in this blog, in hopes to find others in the same place.

It isn’t that we wouldn’t welcome a baby if by some miracle I got pregnant or if someone handed us a child. We would. It is that we would struggle financially. We are sending every extra penny we have to our debt in order to get it down, not just paying the minimum. -We have gotten off track a couple of times, but we get quickly back on.- If a child were in the picture, those payments would decrease. We would have to pay for all things baby and then think of daycare among other things. If that were the case, our debt would not shrink and we would feel stuck.

I hope that we are making the right choice by waiting until we are in a better place financially. I know that God has a plan for us. I hope that it doesn’t matter that we will technically be “older” parents by the time we have more than one child. We will be grateful for the hard work when we are able to provide a peaceful, well-funded life for our children.

We should never have gotten into the financial situation in which we have been in the first place. (But that is a whole ‘nother blog post.) Every struggle happens to make us stronger. We will definitely be in the running for Mr. and Mrs. Financial Universe after digging ourselves out of our mess.

And the reward waiting for us at the end is a child. What better reward could there be?

No comments: