Wisdom brightens a person's face and changes its hard appearance. -Ecclesiatstes 8:1

Monday, August 30, 2010

Professional Development

This is gonna be quick 'cause I am tired. I've been at a conference all day for work. I actually enjoyed every session I attended today, so much so that I stayed through the one at 5:30 pm when there were only about 7 other people in there with me.

Most of the day's sessions that I attended were about Social Networking and using the computer to futher your business. If not your business skills.

I twittered throughout.

One item that intrigued me though was:
Employees should be 100% proactive in their professional development and the employer should be 100% devoted to making that happen for the employees.

I'm not sure if I agree totally, although it would be a wonderful thing.

I do agree with the first part. I had to beg and plead to be able to come to this conference. And I think that all employees should do the same, even if the answer is always 'no'.

If you work, you should always try to advance yourself. Do what you can and hope and pray that others will see your enthusiasm and help you along.

Always keep learning. Develop skills so that you are invaluable to what you do and to those for whom you do it. If you don't think that there is anything out there to further yourself in your career, then you either aren't looking, or it is time to look for a new career.

Whatever it is, just do it. Always learn something. Always better yourself.

No comments: