Wisdom brightens a person's face and changes its hard appearance. -Ecclesiatstes 8:1

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Meet BlinknHolly

I have not been blogging. I’m sure all my (one) fans have noticed. I just didn’t enjoy the whole rehashing of my childhood as much as I thought I would. Plus it was too hard to keep up with. Recently, though, I’ve had the hankering to start on a new subject. And after weeks of thought, I figure today is as good a day as any. I won’t reveal the theme, because it will become apparent enough in a few entries. Or it will change…who knows? First, let me explain why my blog’s address is ‘blinknholly’. It isn’t about the eyelid movement of a person named Holly. It is actually two people. A girl named Blink and a girl named Holly; two opposing figures but both childhood friends of mine. They were complete opposites. Blink can be described as hard rock/punk before the terms even really meant anything. Holly was conservative in dress and shy. They were sisters. They were my age. They lived in a 2 story pink house with a swimming pool and trampoline and their parents drove a pink Corvette. I’m not kidding you. True story… …at least in my head. You see, Blink and Holly were my imaginary friends. I don’t know what ages I had these friends, but memories of them are still vivid. My mom says I can thank my dad for that. He encouraged my behavior and probably egged me on into building a magnificent life for those two. They had everything I wanted as a child in the 80’s: pool, trampoline, corvette and 2 story house. None of which I had at the time. Maybe it was about the time we got the pool installed that Blink and Holly moved away. Dreams become reality, imagination becomes trite*. As for their names, Holly is simple. She was named after Holly Hobbie, whom she resembled. She dressed like she was from Little House on the Prairie and she was shy. Much like this picture: I also had room décor with her on it, so I’m sure that is her origin. Blink, however, this bad chic (that’s ‘bad’ as in ‘cool’), probably got named because it sounded like my name, Blake, and it was different. No one else was named Blake and no one else was named Blink. Her features are not so easy to come by like Holly’s. There isn’t one source I can pin down for her, but I imagine she looks much like a Manga girl does today: She was the not-so-shy one. And she dressed the part. In retrospect, I guess these girls were parts of me, the shy me and the outgoing me that I wanted to be. I don’t put much stock in astrology and horoscopes but that is what I think of when I think of Blink and Holly. I’m a Libra and they balanced out my childhood scales. They had the things that I wanted most, so I was living vicariously through them and their imaginary pink house. I never did meet their parents. Maybe they didn’t actually have parents and drove the pink Corvette themselves. Or maybe their parents were the band of gypsy’s that my dad always swore were coming back to get me. But that’s another story… *Today’s Words of Truth: Being then God’s offspring, we ought not to think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and imagination of man. The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent, because he has fixed a day on which he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed; and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him from the dead.- Acts 17, 29-31 (ESV)

No comments: